The New York Child Victims Act
On January 28, 2019 the New York Legislature passed the Child Victims Act (A2683 and S2440), effectively reforming the statute of limitations for child sexual abuse survivors in New York. It was signed into law by Governor Cuomo on February 14, 2019.
A historic step forward for child protection, the New York Child Victims Act:
- Allows child sex abuse survivors to bring a civil lawsuit against abusers and institutions that protected them until the survivor reaches the age of 55
- Opens a one-year window for child sexual abuse victims of any age to bring lawsuits for abuse that occurred even decades ago
- Revives previously barred actions related to sexual abuse of children
- Grants civil trial preference to such actions
- Eliminates the notice of claim requirements for such actions when the action is brought against a municipality, the state or a school district
- Requires judicial training relating to child abuse and the establishment of rules relating to civil actions brought for sexual offenses committed against children
You are not alone. We are here to help you.
It’s time for justice. It's time to bring the truth out into the light. It’s time for accountability and healing. Before making a decision concerning such serious and sensitive matters, we encourage all survivors of priest sexual abuse to consult with legal counsel before proceeding with a claim against the Archdiocese of New York, the Diocese of Albany, the Diocese of Brooklyn, the Diocese of Buffalo, the Diocese of Ogdensburg, the Diocese of Rochester, the Diocese of Rockville Center, or the Diocese of Syracuse.
Share your story. Take legal action. Call us today.
The most important step you can take as a childhood sexual abuse victim is to contact an attorney immediately. No amount of money will undo the harm caused but it can bring a sense of justice and closure for victims. Please contact attorney Bill Kelly at email@example.com or (
Free Case Evaluation How Can We Help?
Free Case Evaluation - (212) 732-5040How Can We Help?
52 Duane Street - 7th Floor, New York, NY 10007
Main: (212) 732-6000
Bill Kelly (Direct): (212) 732-5040
Gerald McCarthy (Direct): (212) 732-6408
220 St. Paul Street, Westfield, NJ 07090
809 North Dixie Hwy, West Palm Beach, FL 33401